This is the time of year when family, loved ones and friends gather together for good times and delicious food to celebrate Independence Day. Usher in this historic holiday and stay safe this fourth of July!
Handling Fireworks Safely – Over 50,000 fires are caused by improper discharge of fireworks every year. Keep your family safe this summer:
- Never point sparklers or fireworks at yourself or others, especially while you’re lighting them.
- Never take apart fireworks or try to make them yourself.
- Light fireworks on the ground and in areas that are away from people and pets.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks or sparklers, even if they’re being supervised.
- Always keep a water hose, portable fire extinguisher or buckets of water nearby to put out unexpected fires.Safety Practices When Grilling – Did you know that the peak month for fires and injuries caused by improper grilling is July? Enjoy barbecuing your favorite foods safely this summer by observing these safety tips:
- Place the grill two feet away or more from the side of your house, pools, decks, low hanging tree branches and any outdoor equipment that has the potential to catch fire quickly.
- Make sure children are kept away from gas grills.
Blocked tubes, gas leaks and propane tanks can cause grill fires and explosions without warning.
- Charcoal grills can also be a hazard if they’re touched or knocked over.
Be sure to supervise children and pets closely around these types of grills.
- Never operate your grill in the garage, indoors or in any enclosed area.
Being proactive and taking the proper precautions on this nationally celebrated holiday will ensure your family’s safety. Happy 4th and beyond!