Enjoy Summer Fun the Safe Way
Aaahhh…summer. We thought it would never arrive! Though we all love to frolic in the sun this time of year, the potential harm it can cause is substantial. The sun causes wrinkles, blotchy skin, and skin cancer, the most common type of cancer. How can you protect yourself and your loved ones?
The Skin Cancer Foundation actively promotes the use of sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher when outdoors for any length of time.
Here are some additional guidelines they recommend for keeping your skin safe this summer:
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM. This is when the sun’s rays are the harshest.
- Do not burn. Every sunburn increases your chance of melanoma.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month. Look for any changes in your skin.
- See your physician every year for a professional skin exam. Regular total-body checkups are the best way to make sure your skin is healthy.
Be sure to stop by The Apothecary Spa to pick up your sunscreen along with additional tips for keeping your skin vibrant and healthy while playing outdoors!